Unofficial Bontrager Frame Information
Check out the Vintage Bontrager Cycles group on Flickr!Steel is real! Some random photos and info about frames built by Keith Bontrager:
- Bicycle Industrial Complex: Interview with Keith Bontrager
- Singletrack Geek: An SG Interview - Keith Bontrager
- Keith Bontrager interview from 07/02/2011 on the Outspoken Cyclist on WJCU in Cleveland, Ohio (MP3)
- Bike Radar KB Inteview from 2010
- Bontrager Timeline at The Museum of Mountain Bike Art & Technology (MOMBAT) has lots of old scans from 1987-1999.
- Some info on reproduction decals at MTBR.com
- Screen Specialty Shop in North Carolina did the original Bontrager frame decals
- KB Interview @ Cyclingnews.com
- KB talks CX @ Belgium Knee Warmers
- Twenty Questions with KB @ Retrobike
- Various Bontrager BMX frames @ bmxmuseum.com
- 1994 / 1996 / 1997 / 1998 Bontrager Catalogs @ mtb-kataloge.de
- KB page at Wikipedia
- KB's "secret" website, created right after the Trek acquisition, still has frame specs and other info
- KB at the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame
- 2007 Rock Lobster "Nontrager" at the First Flight Bicycles bike museum
- Lots of good Bontrager pics and info at eandsweb.com, including some differences between the Off-Road vs. Race vs. Race Lite frames.
- Hmm. Cotic over in the UK are offering a MTB frame called the Soul that seems to be a modern interpretation of a Bontrager Race, right down to the gussets and 71/74 degree geometry! There's a titanium version, too...
- Some random photos pulled from a couple of Craigslist ads featuring two different 650C-wheeled tri bikes that were supposedly built by KB. (update: these are probably Bontrager "WING" frames circa 1994)
- Here are some photos of a custom fillet-brazed 1989 Bontrager cyclocross frame, owned by P. Germain. Thanks to the owner for sending in these photos!
- 1987 fillet-brazed custom Bontrager CX
- 1995 Bontrager 60cm TIG'd CX
- 1995 Bontrager CX
- 1997 Bontrager Road Lite
- Lots of good Bontrager info at the RetroBike MTB UK Forum
- Official Bontrager Thread at MTBR.com
- Bontrager MTB rear dropout differences -- useful to date a frame! circa 1991 and before, 1992-1993, 1994 and beyond, Privateer dropout.
If there's any other Bontrager information that should be included here, please drop me a note. Thanks!